Monday, October 5, 2009

Maverick cycles/Monster energy Gravity dice

Hey dudes, been a while since I updated this thing, mainly coz there hasn't been much going on my side, the racing scene has been quite lately with a few cross country rides happening here and there. I been spending alot of time on my Shova riding the trails in Howick which are really awesome, loads of single track and good downhills...with one or two hill climbs to warm you up.

On Sunday Maverick cycles and Monster energy held a Gravity dice at Cascades starting near Fern cliff nature reserve. The track was really fun, the first downhill was out the start and pinned on a road next to the world cup DH course, hitting speeds of around 60-70kms an hour over drain bumps was quite intimidating at times. It then went onto a flat road and joined the DH course and went off onto some new tight single track. There were a few pedalling roads in between, more single track and then a sprint finish to the end which was near the car park.

The race format was heats of 3, you got points for the position you finished that added up to place you in the final. The first heat I finished second, I was leading the race until the end where I took a wrong turn and stalled letting Matt come flying past me. The second heat I finished first, Matt Kelvin and I had the most insane race, I was leading from the beginning with Matt and Kelvin right on my back wheel, I pedalled hard where I could and pulled a gap from them. They caught up on the end single track but I manged to keep the lead to the finish. You know your body has reached max power out put when you cross the line and see spots and feel like throwing up! was super fun though. The third heat I only needed to finish top 3 to get through to the final so I just took it easy and finished third behind kelvin and Alan. In the final I didn't get such a good start, I was second behind Matt who pinned the top bit and pulled a gap by the time we hit the road. I pedalled hard into the forest section and stayed behind him in the single track. I made my attack on the flat road section and passed him, managing to keep the lead to the finish. I was really happy how the day went, had loads of fun and enjoyed the fierce competition!

Overall results were:
1) Travis Browning
2) Matt Smith
3) Alan Hatherly
4) K-dub Purchase
5)Fab Lemasson
6)louis Smith

Thanks to Maverick cycles/Monster energy for organising the event and to Ian for preparing the course. And my lovely girfriend Danni for the support and nice lunch :)

Ride safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment