Thursday, June 18, 2009

Greg Kaumpek memorial race 14th June



This past weekend was my first race back on the bike after a long break from cycling forced by a bad injury back in March. I’ve been riding for the past two weeks now and I’ve been loving every moment of being in the saddle, I have really learnt to appreciate the sport I do and have regained my passion for cycling after being sidelined for so long and having to watch friends racing and having a good time just riding their bikes.


Sunday’s race was at Cascades held to remember our good friend Greg who passed away in a car accident in 2004. The route followed the bottom half of the world cup track but branched off closer to the bottom. It was a very flat track with a few jumps so I decided to ride my Morewood Ndiza which turned out to be a good choice. My dad rode my DH bike and dominated his category in his very first Downhill race, was quite impressed! My first run started strong, I pedaled really hard out the start and into the first wood section, but at the half way mark I snapped my chain which ended any chance of getting a good time. I re-focused and pinned the second run pedaling just as hard and hitting all the lines. I finished 3rd overall for the day. I was happy with the result as I haven’t done much training or spent a lot of time on the bike so I’m looking forward to getting in racing mode again and tearing up some DH courses!


Final results were:


1) Simon Dinkelman

2)Tiaan Odendaal

3)Travis Browning

4)Kelvin Purchase

5)Tim Bently


My next race is at Giba Gorge...It's a super D so I betta start some training!


Thanks goes out to Lloyd Ramsay for the pic


Keep it pinned!

Travis




No comments:

Post a Comment